Which medical deductions are available for individuals?
The medical aid certificate for the applicable year is the starting point of any medical deduction. The certificate shows the total contributions that you made during the year and also claims that were not paid by the fund.

Other qualifying medical expenses that were not submitted to the fund can also be claimed. The emphasis is on qualifying expenses; which is prescription medication and doctors’ visits. Vitamins and other nonprescribed medication cannot be claimed and deducted.

You could also claim the medical expenses and medical aid contributions of close family members (eg. a parent) in certain circumstances. Firstly, the family member must be registered as a dependant on your medical aid and must fully depend on you for all financial support. You cannot claim the medical expense if the family member is on his/her own medical aid and you only pay the monthly premiums. Disability/Impairment is defined as a moderate to severe limitation of a person’s ability to function or perform daily activities, as a result of a physical, sensory, communication, intellectual or mental impairment.

For example, if your child suffers from ADHD/ADD you will qualify for benefits in this category, If the requirements of a condition or prognosis has lasted more than a year; and is diagnosed by a duly registered medical practitioner. The necessary forms must be completed by the medical practitioner. Keep in mind that only expenses incurred for this impairment or condition can qualify for deduction. For example, a child who is blind / disabled and attends a special school. The school fees that are paid can be deducted.

Please contact our offices for a consultation for any further information regarding deductions of specific expenses.

Contributed by: Sonja Steenkamp, Professional Accountant SA, Professional Tax Practitioner SA This article is for general information only and must not be used as professional advice.
We accept no responsibility for any mistakes, loss or damage as a result of the use of the information herein. Contact our offices for a consultation for if you require specialised advice.